A crown is a covering that encases the entire tooth surface, restoring it to its original shape and size. A dental crown protects and strengthens tooth structure that cannot be restored with fillings or other types of dental restorations. By enclosing the tooth beginning at the gumline, a dental crown can restore the tooth’s function, appearance, and health. Our knowledgeable dentists, Dr. Kizer and Dr. Smith, may recommend a custom dental crown in order to:
- Strengthen a broken or fractured tooth
- Enhance the beauty of your smile
- Support a large or fractured dental filling, especially when little original tooth structure remains
- Protect a tooth following root canal therapy
- Restore a significantly decayed or damaged tooth
- Attach a dental bridge
Dental crowns can be created from a variety of materials, including gold, porcelain fused to metal, resin, and porcelain. Resin and porcelain crowns are popular because of their tooth-colored appearance. With a resin or porcelain dental crown no one will even notice that you have a crown! We welcome you to call or visit Kizer Dental Associates today to learn more about how a crown can improve your smile. We look forward to caring for your smile!